Sunday, January 14, 2007

Playing Games

Lately, I've been wondering why it is that my son, and husband, have been so glued to the TV playing their new favorite game, Viva Pinata? Hubby purchased an Xbox 360 with the part of his Christmas bonus that he didn't give to me, and, in turn, I purchased the game Viva Pinata for Alex as one of his Christmas gifts. Alex was immediately addicted to it, and it only took a matter of days for hubby to be the same way!

What is it with boys & their video games?!?! Well, last night, I found out.

Let me back up for just a minute: After reading Katrina's blog about playing Ultimate Alliance with her hubby, I posted a comment asking her for her insight on the game in general. Alex has been wanting to purchase it, but I've gone back & forth as to whether or not the game would be appropriate for a 7 year old. So, I asked; she responded. After reading her email, I forwarded her input on to Michael so that he could see what she said. He quickly responded to me and corrected a few slight errors that I'd made when responding to her (like it wasn't Mortal Kombat, it was Tekken that I always beat him at!). Anyway, he also suggested that I too try playing a game with him, as it would give us some 'bonding time' together. Ha! That was just his way of trying to make an excuse to spend another 2 or 3 hours with Viva Pinata. But, to be a sweet wife, I relented and hesitantly agreed to try it out.

Last night was the night. Once the kiddos were in bed and I'd taken my relaxing bath, we sat down, opened the game panel and selected the user name I had created for myself (Queen Mommy), and started the game. Michael showed me the ropes, telling me to open the journal, suggesting that I read the encyclopedia for info on the characters, reminding me to read the prompts, and, my personal favorite, teaching me how to make the whirlms do the romance dance - that's how the whirlm babies are created! Before I knew it, I was hooked. I visited the village and made several trips to Costalots where I spent my precious chocolate coins on various and sundry seeds. Once I returned to my garden, I planted the precious seeds, then had to remember to check on them on occasion to be sure they didn't need to be watered. I lost one during the course of the evening, but considering I planted allot of them, I figure that losing 1 isn't too bad for a first-timer! After what seemed like 30 or 45 minutes, I decided to save my game so that I could get to bed before midnight. While the 360 was saving the game, I glanced back at the clock only to be struck with the realization that I'd been playing for more than 2 hours!!! I couldn't believe that it was already 12:15AM!

Then it really hit me...I've become one of them!!!

1 comments:

Katrina said...

Heehee! You guys really are our mirror family! For example, Paul just bought me a laptop as an early anniversary present (I would love to hear the specs on yours; now that I helped Paul shop for mine, I might even know what you're talking about!), while I bought him an XBox 360. He got "Gears of War" to go with it, and we're going to buy Katie "Viva Pinata" for her birthday in two weeks!

I'm glad to know that Viva Pinata is fun for everybody in the family--the price of XBox games made me blink a little...lol!

(By the way, have you picked out a bag for lugging your laptop around? It seems silly, but I spent more time on that than on picking out my notebook. I finally found a great one called the Mimi Digiscrap Laptop Tote. So cute!)