Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Little Blessings

Over the last few weeks, Michael & I have been debating something. The question has been "Do I go back to work? If so, do I go back full-time and make good money, or do I look for something part-time and make piddly, but extra money?" It's a question that we've gone back & forth on, argued over, and cried about (well, I've cried, he hasn't, that I'm aware of anyway!).

Going back full-time could be a good thing because the extra $40K a year would go a long way in helping us to not only get caught up financially, but it would add a cushion that we haven't had in years. The downside? The kiddos - they would be in daycare or extended care after school and that prospect doesn't appeal to me at all! I so love being a stay-at-home mommy and wouldn't trade my life with anyone! But, when bills are behind, I can't just sit here and not do something, right? So, that led to the 'going back to work on a part-time basis' question. What type of part-time job do I look for? Retail, which would occupy my evenings and weekends? Daytime on the days when the kids are at school? Then I have a problem with Ian who only attends 1 day a week; I'd have to add another day, which would kick up our tuition costs. Would my part-time salary be enough to cover that increase and give us the extra money we need? There have been so many questions, and allot of doubt that any decision would be the right one.

Then on Monday, I received a little tidbit of information from a close friend. She was included on one of the many emails I had sent out asking friends and family to pray for guidance for us. In addition to many other things, I just happened to mention the fact that I was still looking for something part-time. She emailed back asking if I knew anything about QuickBooks. I responded and told her yes, that was one of the many programs I've used over the years, most recently to keep our own company on-track. She emailed me back a while later and said that her hubby runs a landscaping company and needs someone part-time to help him get his books in order, run the company's daily and monthly processes, etc. She asked if I was interested, and I couldn't email her back quickly enough to say "YES!"

She gave me his number and suggested that I call to set up a time to talk with him. I did, but had to leave a message for him. I figured that between being a company owner, as well as a policeman, he'd probably gotten a little busy when I hadn't heard back from him by 10PM. I sent her another email last night with my resume and told her to have him call me whenever he got a chance, there was no rush. He called today and asked if he could come by to talk. About 3o minutes later, I had a job! But this isn't just any job. I'll be working on my own time, as often as I can, from home, getting his books together and updating his data. For that he told me that he'd be paying me a very nice salary every 2 weeks, and as a little perk, he'd take care of our yard for us!

Talk about a blessing!!! I was so excited that I could hardly contain my excitement. God had truly answered my prayers by giving me a mommy-friendly job, making wonderful money, and doing what I love to do - getting people organized :) I told him that though he couldn't tell it by my house, I am a very organized person and love to help people get their stuff put together. So, just as soon as we can work out a few logistical things dealing with the software and paperwork, I'll be starting just as soon as I can! This little blessing was such an answer to prayer. I just can't tell you how excited I am and how wonderful it feels to not be in limbo over this issue any longer.

Hooray for the little blessings!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Oh, Jennifer! That is simply wonderful! How awesome that God answered your prayer so quickly and specifically like that!

It sounds like everything worked out perfectly, for you and the kids and your whole family, who, I'm sure, benefit immeasurably from having you at home when they need you. Praise the Lord! :D

Amy said...

jennifer, that is awesome! What a wonderful account of how God works in our lives and how He takes the time to answer our prayers!! It sounds exactly like what you need, better than you might have found on your own! I agree with Katrina (when don't I?) PRAISE THE LORD!!

Judy said...

That sounds like an AWESOME job - and with yardwork included - what a perk! Congratulations!