Sunday, March 18, 2007

In Memoriam

Today marks the 5 year anniversary of my mother's passing. I never know what emotions to expect on this date as they might range from tears of sorrow and loss, to memories that bring tears of hysterical laughter. My sisters and I usually do our best to be together on this day each year, as we were together as we said our final goodbyes to the woman that gave us life. I am the oldest, with 2 younger sisters each 7 years younger than the other (yes, that means I was 14 when my youngest sister was born!). I don't think I've ever attempted to take my mother's place in our family, but my commitment to my sisters & father go very deep.

I can say, proudly, that I am indeed my mother's daughter. For those that knew her, casually or well, you might understand what that statement would mean. I think my mother's favorite phrase was, "Get over it!" She cared deeply for her friends & family, but she never put up with much from anyone. She said what she meant, meant what she said, and expected you to fall in line or get out of the way. She understood that to whom much is given, much is required. She had many wonderful gifts - administration, counsel, a beautiful voice that opened numerous doors for her in ministry, but above all, a gift of caring for her family. Though her responsibilities at church might require many, many hours away, she didn't just leave us at home. She took us with her! Being involved in church meant that the entire family was involved. My father was always at her side leading worship and playing guitar, and, at one point or another, each child ended up on stage doing something that would prevent us from misbehaving while she was otherwise occupied. We each grew up in the church, with hands-on experience to what the word 'ministry' really meant. We learned not to take it lightly, but to carry that responsibility with humility, dedication and respect.

At her funeral, more than 300 guests were in attendance for a standing-room-only service that lasted more than 3 hours! It was a fitting tribute to a woman that gave so much to so many people. We, as her family, were overcome with emotion at the amount of guests that traveled in excess of 4 hours just to attend the memorial service. The outpouring of love was overwhelming, and heartfelt.

But, even with all of those memories, one of the strongest memories I have is of the drive home from the hospital (on the day of her passing) with my husband, sisters & cousin. As we all crammed into her SUV and discussed all of the things we were getting ready to deal with - primarily telling our grandmother, her mother, that mom died before she arrived from Dallas, and breaking this same news to 2 of her 3 living sister - we couldn't help but laugh. We laughed about funny things mom did to completely embarrass us in front of our friends, we laughed about the things our parents did together that would completely embarrass us in front of our friends, we laughed about the things they did to completely embarrass us in front of strangers, and we laughed simply because the tears wouldn't come. For, it was only hours before those memories of hilarity that our mother was taken home to be with her Maker.

The woman that did so much for so many was finally released from her human body, so riddled with sickness and pain, and given a chance to walk in total health and healing. We all know within our 'knowers' that at some point, her Heavenly Father gave her a choice - to be with her family to continue to care for each of us as only she could, or to walk away from this earth, hand in hand with The One that loved her more than we ever could. It was a decision that we know she didn't make lightly, but she made finally.

As our pastor said at her funeral, and again at the church service that following Sunday morning, mom completed the tasks given to her by God. She raised 3 daughters in the knowledge and fear of Jesus Christ, equipped us for whatever ministry we might be called to in our lives, and left a legacy of grace, beauty and dignity for us to remember.

She was a true woman of God, cherished, loved...and yes, very deeply missed.

I want to be just like mom!!!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Jennifer,

This is so beautiful and heartfelt. I can completely relate to each and every word written (it has been 14 years for me, this summer). I wonder, if in the same way I have stumbled upon your blog and your stories, perhaps my mother has stumbled upon meeting yours in Heaven.

Praise God we will all be together again!

Katrina said...

This is such a lovely tribute to your mom, Jennifer! She sounds amazing, and I can tell your whole family was blessed by her strong faith and great example.

Sooner than we know, you'll be with her again!

Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer.
I just read your memorial out loud to Tessie here at work and we are both wrecked for the rest of day I am afraid. It was so true and so beautifully written by you.
We love you and miss you.
Tessie has a new quote that I am sure your mother would have also loved.
"Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!" Ha ha.