Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Waving Goodbye


It's done! As I choke back tears and try to 'be strong', my little man has stepped onto the school bus and into another phase of his life. He spent the better part of the morning asking if the bus was here yet - as soon as his eyes opened, during breakfast, and while brushing his teeth. Alex was so ready to leave that it almost hurt my feelings - almost. I know he's terribly excited about his first day of kindergarten and getting to ride the bus there & home, which means I also know not to take it personally :) As Michael & I prayed for his safety before he left, and that he would have not only a blessed day, but a blessed year, I couldn't help but think back to the first time I held him in my arms. It seems like so long ago, but then again, only yesterday. Hmmm...time really does fly!

So now, I'm forced to sit at home and hope that he gets from the bus to his classroom, then the classroom back to the bus, safely. Even though I'm very excited that this day has finally arrived and I will no longer have to endure the constant barrage of questions and daily chore of keeping his busy mind occupied, I will still miss him terribly!

I'll be sure to post more on his day when he gets home - I'm sure there will be lots of stories :) Let's see, only 7 more hours...

7:50PM - Well, so far this evening, the most I've been able to get out of Alex about his first day of school was "I don't remember, mom!" Can you believe that?!? All day - a whole 7 hours - and he can't remember? How typical of a man? I, on the other hand, accidentally met a parent down the street from us. A little girl got off at our bus stop, but apparently shouldn't have! I saw her walking very quickly up the street and crying, so I asked if I could help her get home. Unfortunately, I didn't know where her street was, other than it was 'that way' so we started walking. I caught a mommy on her way into her house and asked if she happened to know where this street was, and thankfully, she did! Her 2 older kids walked the little girl the rest of the way, but we stood and chatted for a while. They live at the next corner, which also happens to be the next bus stop, so she suggested that we go down there tomorrow so that I can meet some of the other parents and their kids! How fun :) There aren't any other kids at our bus stop, so I figure we might as well make some friends when we have the chance to.

So, until tomorrow comes, I'll be going through the stack of stuff that the school sent home for me to read, sign and/or return. Since when do parents get homework?!?!?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

That poor little girl :( I hope she wasn't too upset. On the upside you got to meet new people, which in my book is always a plus.

Rabbity-Sniff said...

Wow! I can appreciate your mixed feelings. I have a feeling I'm gonna be one of those moms that homeschools just to keep her kids with her. On the other hand, I think it would be nice to have a break for most of the day knowing that they are being educated while I finally have time for other stuff. I've got a couple years before I have to really think about it though and a lot can change in the that amount of time. I'm glad for you that you get some semblance of normalcy back into your life. Enjoy!