Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ian's Disappearing Act

As I go about preparing my notes and such for our upcoming MOPS summer retreat, I find myself a little tight for time. So, the first thing to go is my blog, unfortunately. I hope to return a little later on with funny stories, but for now, you're going to have to make due with my latest horror story:

Today, amidst the joy of running errands with all 3 kiddos this morning, I decided to take them all to the mall for lunch and play time on the indoor playground. When we arrived, Morgann started to complain about not feeling well. I chalked it up to her blood-sugar being a bit low (cereal with marshmallows doesn't exactly fit the description of a healthy breakfast, but it worked into my busy morning schedule beautifully!), and insisted that she eat at least a few bites of her Taco Hell taco. Once we finished up our meal, and Morgann took the bare minimum of 3 bites, we cleaned up our table and headed down to the playground area. I had intended to stop into a shoe store to see about getting Morgann some new tennies, but she said that she preferred to just go play.

When we arrived, the boys stripped their feet of shoes and socks and headed off into playground heaven. Meanwhile, my sweet little girl decided to curl up onto the bench, lay her head in my lap, and quickly pass out. She took a good 30 minute nap while the boys played and we waited for daddy to show up. It was only when he arrived that Morgann woke up; but she proceeded to lay her head on Michael's shoulder while we walked back to the food court. It was when I asked Morgann, my little sugar fiend, if she wanted a cookie, and she said NO, that I knew something was definitely wrong.

After the boys finished their cookies and Michael completed his meal, I decided to stop by one of the hamburger places to get a re-fill on my drink. I stood at one end of the counter while Michael stood with the kiddos at the other, waiting for me. After about 2-3 minutes of standing there, I finally got my refill and went back to where Michael and the kids were supposed to be. It only took a second to realize that we were 1 kiddo short - Michael & I just looked at each and in harmony said, "Where is Ian. I thought he was with you!".

And we were off - in different directions - searching under tables, the nearby ride-station (filled with coin operated toys that the kids love to climb on), every corner and cranny we could find - but with no luck. Ian wasn't anywhere to be found! About the time my heart climbed into my throat, Michael got my attention and said that he just heard an older man talking with a security guard about finding a little boy...standing alone in the parking lot. At about that same moment, I saw Ian sitting in someone else's arms, sucking his fingers looking not even a bit concerned that a stranger had him, and not his mommy or daddy!

I immediately ran over to the man and grabbed my son, thankful that someone had found him and brought him back into the mall. The guy looks at me and says, "I swear to God, he was just standing out there in the middle of the parking lot, looking around". I felt like the worst mommy in the world, but was so grateful that an honest man had found my child!

Really, I could have kissed him at that exact moment, I was so thankful.

As we all walked back out to the van, I looked and Michael and informed him that I would be purchasing one of those leash/harness things for Ian tonight. Yes, I'm going to put a leash on my child....for his safety and my sanity. Don't judge...I now understand what would possess a parent to harness their child...shear terror!!!

Thank God Ian's angels were working overtime today :)

3 comments:

Judy said...

BK (before kids), I always said I could not understand why parents would use those leashes on their kids.

I now know why.

We haven't ever used one, but there have been times when I have thought that something like a leash would have been a marvelous idea.

I'm so glad Ian is okay. And what a wonderful man to bring him back in.

cori said...

Oh my gosh, Jenn, how scary! I can't even imagine what was going thru your head. I am SOOOO glad he was found and was okay. My heart skipped a beat reading your story. Give him an extra hug from me tonight!

Katrina said...

I don't think there's a parent alive who hasn't had a moment like that! It's sheer panic! I will say a prayer of thanks, too--the only thing more amazing than the panic is the whoosh of relief when your child is back in your arms again.

As for the toddler tethers, I think they're a great idea--they let your child have a little more freedom than he would have if you were carrying him around, but without the cost to your peace of mind!