Monday, February 11, 2008

Will You Be My Valentine?

As a child, I always loved Valentine's Day. So, when it came time to pick out Valentines for the obligatory school party, I took great care in making my selection. Each year, I found myself asking my mom if I could buy 1 box for the boys and 1 box for the girls, but she always answered the same way, "No". So, after much contemplation, and probably much to my busy mom's chagrin, I would make my selection, feeling a tinge of excitement when thinking about how much everyone would enjoy my card. After all, I was sure that my card would be the best in the bag, since I would always tape a piece of gum or candy to it. And, since I took great care in making my selection, it was obvious to me that I was the best friend ever!

And so, as I watched Morgann peruse the valentine selection at our local Christian Bookstore, I couldn't help but giggle to myself. She reminded me of me! She had me read each card in each box, as she looked at the pictures. I'm assuming that she just felt the need to ponder the wording, deciding whether or not she approved of the saying and subsequent scripture on each. Then, when she asked if she could could get 1 for the boys and 1 for the girls, I simply threw my head back and laughed out loud, then gave her the same answer I had received from my mother, a very emphatic "No".

Once she settled on the Precious Moments cards, we picked up a pack of sparkley heart-shaped stickers which she could use to seal the envelopes (rather than sharing any germs with her classmates by licking the envelopes). When we returned home, she immediately set to work at carefully writing her name on the "From" line, then placed them into the envelopes and sealed them with a heart. And since we didn't have cards for the boys, she used the 'boy colored' hearts for the boys, pink & red for the girls. She must have counted the cards, envelopes & stickers 5 times, just to be sure we had exactly 16 cards (2 more than necessary). Then she carefully placed them into a ziplock and placed them on my desk for safe-keeping until Thursday's party.

This is one of the first times that I've seen her do something that reminded me so much of myself. Anytime it came to giving a gift, no matter how small or big said gift might be, I always took great care in selecting the item that I thought would suit a person best. It had to be special and I always took great care in signing the card and wrapping it up with love. I still like to think that I am a good gift-giver, and am always being told that my wrapping is 'beautiful', but maybe that's because I actually still use wrapping paper and bows, which is more uncommon than common anymore. But I couldn't help but to swell (just slightly) with pride that my little mini-me finds gift-giving (and card-giving) such a special task. And, I hope that this small act of kindness and caring will stick with her throughout her life - finding the perfect gift for someone is no small feat. In our gift-card world, it's a dying art.

2 comments:

Judy said...

That is too cute - we did our valentines yesterday...cute stickers, added some dum-dums to each one in Tyler's class, and Travis' classmates are all getting valentine pencils. I love valentine's day!

Katrina said...

How sweet to see a little glimpse of yourself in your daughter. Those moments are so precious! And yes, I too remember the important Valentine's card ritual. It's fun to see Katie doing the same thing!