Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Waste Not, Want Not

This afternoon, when Alex returned home from school, he approached me with sad eyes, and informed me of the following:

"Mom, today at lunch, I didn't have time to finish, so I decided to save my dessert. But, look what happened!"

And, with that, he shows me a milky-white glove (that should be black), a drippy coat pocket, and a huge wet spot on his jeans. The dessert in question was a cup of 'pink' ice cream. And my 8 year old son, who isn't one to waste a good dessert, figured he'd simply stick it into his coat pocket to save for the bus ride home. Doing my best to stifle the laughter welling up within me, I asked, "Alex, didn't you realize that it would melt?" The response was quick and concise, "No!" At this point, I couldn't hold back the giggles, but I quickly hugged him, tried to reassure him that it was my fault for not explaining the concept of melting ice cream, then informed him that he would need to strip out of his sticky, wet clothes & coat so that they could be washed before tomorrow.

So, there you have it. I get the "Mother of the Year" award for not teaching my son that ice cream melts and isn't save-able! Granted, I've never had occasion to question his knowledge on the subject, as I simply assumed he knew that you couldn't leave it outside of a freezer for more than a bit before it changes to milk, but that might be because he's never had leftover ice cream before.

Note to self: Be sure to tell Morgann & Ian, when the time comes, to not save their ice cream cups!

0 comments: