Wednesday, December 05, 2007

To the Birthday Boy!

Yesterday, you, my oldest son, turned 8 years old. First, let me say that I am not old enough to have an 8 year old. And second, HOLY COW! My baby boy is 8 years old!!!! The time is passing so quickly and you are growing like a weed - please stop! I currently do not have it in my budget to purchase you more pants...

I want to apologize for not giving you a proper birthday party, complete with balloons and friends galore. But, I'm hoping that the taco dinner and cookie cake, surrounded by your family, was enough to remind you of how very much you are loved. This year is getting away from me, and the fact that your birthday falls in the very hectic month of December, just 3 weeks short of Christmas, isn't helping me to not feel a bit overwhelmed at all of the things that I should be doing, but haven't done yet! The lack of a party on your birthday does not mean that I do not care for you...it simply means that between going out of town no less than 3 times (possibly 4) this month, mixed in with the fact that I am beginning to panic at my lack of preparedness for this holiday season, will allow you the chance to experience a summer birthday party :) Yes, I promise that we will invite your friends over for a pool party during the hottest part of the summer! And, we will label this pool party as "Alex's Belated 8th Birthday Party" so that we will have the excuse to purchase another cookie cake and sing Happy Birthday to you again. We all know how much you love to be the center of attention...

But, I wanted to take a minute to tell you that, even as time marches on, you are a dear, sweet boy and I will always cherish the fact that you were my first little blessing. I pray that you continue to grow in the knowledge and reverence of Jesus, and that the sweet, tender spirit you carry will always be with you. May the joy that you carry in the dimpled smile on your face be a blessing to all you encounter, and may the love of your savior, whom you invited into your little heart at the age of 4, be with you always.

And, if nothing else, always remember that I love you dearly and will always be here for you. Through the good times & the bad times; through the ups & downs that lie ahead for you; through the sad times & happy times; through it all...I will always love you!

Happy 8th Birthday, my little man!!!

"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6: 24-26

0 comments: