Tuesday, April 17, 2007

But, I don't want to die, daddy!

This is an excerpt of a conversation that my husband Michael had with our daughter Morgann on Easter Sunday night, as he was putting her to bed:

Michael: Morgann, you know Jesus loves you right? It's Easter Sunday so this is the day He rose from the dead to forgive us for our sins.

Morgann: Mostly blank look on her face.

Michael: Jesus loves you Morgann and wants to live in your heart. Did you know that?

Morgann: Again, mostly blank look on her face. But she sort of seems to nod her head like she might understand what I'm saying.

Michael: Jesus wants to live in your heart and all you have to do is ask Him. Do you want to ask Him to live in your heart?

Morgann: Ummmm......

Michael: If Jesus lives in your heart, that means you can go to heaven.

Morgann: You mean like Mommy's friend and Mommy's mommy went to heaven?

Michael: Yes, just like that. They went to heaven because they had Jesus living in their heart.

Morgann: Ok

Michael: Do you want to go to heaven?

Morgann: Um, no.

Michael: What!?!? What do you mean no?? Of course you want to go to heaven silly girl!!

Morgann: No I don't.

Michael: I don't mean you have to go to heaven right now. I meant you can go to heaven when you die. (Thinking in my head the second I spoke that's just how it must sound to a 4 year old).

Morgann: But I don't want to die daddy! (Getting a bit teary by this point)

Michael: I don't mean you'll die right now... (uh... how do I get out of this one???) I mean when you die like 100 years from now.

Morgann: But I don't want to die.

Michael: I know silly girl and you're not going to die right now. I mean you'll die in 100 years... ok, never mind. Forget about that. You do want to go to heaven though right?

Morgann: No

Michael: Not right now, later. You want to go to heaven later don't you? I mean, you DO want to go to heaven later. I'm now telling you that you want to go to heaven later OK.

Morgann: But I don't want to go to heaven now.

Me: OK... go to sleep. I'm tired. We'll try this again in about 3 years.

1 comments:

Katrina said...

Haha! Yes, those conversations can get sticky, fast. I've had several with Katie, many in reponse to questions she's asked me, about death, about heaven, about baptism, about what it means to live as a Christian. I think of it as planting seeds in good, fertile soil. I know God will make them grow. I water them with my prayers, but the rest is up to Him, and her. I can't wait for the day, though, when I will see her choose to commit her life to Christ and be baptized. I guarantee no one will hear anything through my joyful blubbering...lol!