Monday, February 19, 2007

The Never-Ending Sob

Do you mommies ever have days when at least 1 of your kiddos will not stop crying?!? I'm having a day like that. I'm a mommy on the edge at this point and am having to use my super-mommy powers (and maybe a little of God's grace) to keep from throwing said child out the back door to cry to his heart's content. It is, after all, cold outside, and he's running around in only a diaper, socks and long-sleeved shirt. I'm not really interested in giving the kid a cold. But, I'm thinking that a little bit of peace might be nice.

The problem is that he's crying because of me! I spanked him when he chose to climb onto the kitchen counter to swipe his sister's left-over sandwich, then into the pantry to eat applesauce. I understand that he was hungry, but all I asked was that he wait until I could get him a snack, which was only about 3 minutes later. But, since he has already eaten a 'snack' (an entire sandwich), he's not getting anything else, and he's very un-happy about it. I think that if I actually gave him something, he'd take one small taste, then walk away in victory, never to return to it. But instead, his retaliation is to follow me room to room, crying almost uncontrollably (it's amazing how he can turn the waterworks on or off at will). I guess he's thinking that if he keeps it up, he'll eventually get what he wants. Boy is he messing with the wrong person!!!

I think I'm more stubborn than he is....

Although, I'm leaning toward an early dinner if it will help him to stop screaming, crying, and stomping through the house. Is 3:30PM to early?!?!

*I've been reconsidering the whole early dinner thing. It's approaching 5:30 and I'm now leaning toward heading out for Mexican food! Hubby wasn't very keen on this idea at first, but I've been 'working' on him. We only eat out once a week, so this would be it. I just can't decide if I should do the 'right thing' and cook the dinner I had planned (Clean Your Plate Casserole from the trusty MOPS cookbook) or throw it all out the window (metaphorically speaking, of course) and head out for some yummy Tex-Mex, which would include a frozen margarita, of course. Decisions, decisions...

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I hope you went out; it sounds like you needed it!

Boy can I identify with this--Caleb is learning the fine art of emotional manipulation, and, like you, I am determined to come out on top in the battle of wills! Unfortunately, that sometimes means time outs, or spankings, or even the dreadful "because I said so and that is it!" Hopefully he will follow his sister's pattern and more or less calm down on the testing in the next few years. Of course, no two are alike, are they? It's how God keeps mommies on their toes! LOL!

Amy said...

Hang in there!!! You know that the sooner you give in, the sooner he wins and the easier it is for him to get his way the next time. Hang in there! The battles get shorter (most of the time)

I hope you went out for dinner and had some peace and a bit of a gift for you (not cooking!) The casserole will keep for another day!