Monday, October 31, 2005

A Memorandum

For those of you that might be wondering if I've died, the answer would have to be maybe. I haven't quite figured out if I've arrived in Heaven or...well, the other place! Since my last adventure, my life has been turned upside down, and what used to be the norm for me has taken a recent, and sometimes tragic turn. But, let me put your minds at ease by saying that NO, I have not become a single parent - either by divorce or death - and NO, my family size has not decreased in any way - either by divorce or death! We are still a very active & happy family of 5, but me? I seem to be having a hard time finding my groove again!

You see, Michael recently started a new job, requiring that he be away from the house for 5 full days! For those of you that are used to this, stop laughing! It's no laughing matter because my psyche is on edge!!! His new position is only 20 minutes away, so he does return to us every evening, so it's not like I'm alone 24-5! Nope, just 7:30-5:30, Monday through Friday. It's a difficult turn of events because for the passed 3 years, he's been self-employed. This little term simply means that his office was in our home, and he was here more than NOT here. He would go to a particular client's site a few days a week, but our other clients only called when they had a crisis. He would come & go at will, for the most part. It was a wonderful life :) If I had errands to run, I would simply wait until the afternoon, put the 2 younger kiddos down for a nap, then head out for a few blissful, peaceful hours of errand-running! No whinny kids! Just me, my thoughts, and my list of 'to-do's'. Life was wonderful!

But then, our primary client, and primary source of income, lost one of their primary clients, so we were cut back to only 1 day a week. This cut our income by 2/3's! It's safe to say our prayerlife became very active, all at once, and Michael decided that it was time to make a change. After about 5 months of intensive looking, and 2 phone calls & 1 dead-end interview, the Lord dumped this position into his lap and within 3 days, he was gainfully employed. We're very thankful and happy with this new position because it suits Michael to a tee! And, for the first time in about 3 years, we have a steady paycheck :) Could life be any better than it is right now? Of course it can!

I could have a nanny, and a housekeeper, a personal shopper, and a .....

*Note: I am not complaining about our recent change in life-style because I see it for what it is...a change & a blessing. Change is good most of the time, but that doesn't mean it's not hard. My current situation is hard because I'm just trying to figure things out and to find the groove that I seemed to have misplaced. God is good and if He can give Michael the job he's been looking for, He can give me the mental health that I need to get through an ENTIRE day without losing my cool with one, or all, of my children :)

4 comments:

Harleys said...

Ahh - change. Good luck finding your groove, and your patience, and your sanity. . .

jon said...

Sometimes in the winter while layed off from trees, I work on a tower crew. This sometimes involves leaving state for up to a week or two. That really stinks, but my wife is a superwoman and keeps things together.

Rabbity-Sniff said...

I totally understand! My husband has been dabbling with a ministry idea that hasn't gotten off the ground YET while living with and working for his parents the past two years. As much as I REALLY want him to get a real job with real income and benefits - I will miss him terribly. I'll have to get into a "new groove" and figure out how to run and handle everything and everyone while he is away what will seem like ALL THE TIME. Give it some time . . . .like up to two months. Then you'll find yourself in a rut . . . wait, I mean a new groove. : )

Katrina said...

Oh, Jennifer! I am thinking of you and praying for you!

Big, sweeping change can be so difficult, and the transition from having your best friend around all the time to being alone for a 40 hour work week is definitely a sweeping change.

We went through a similar thing when we moved to Idaho. My husband had been a youth minister, with a very flexible, family-friendly schedule. It was so painful losing him to the 9 to 5 world. But, in some ways, it's been a blessing, too--when he comes home from work, he's really, fully home, not thinking about work or planning for work. I could never say that when he was in ministry.

I guess all paths have their challenges. Remember to laugh at yourself (and blog your adventures so that we can laugh with you!)