Monday, February 28, 2011

2 days outside...

Well, we are finished with the garden! And I am oh-so-excited to see whether we get any fruit/veggies in a few months :) Let's hope so because my body is KILLING me today. Altho, we did allot more than just work on the garden - we mowed, and edged, and cleared out the debris from the garage, and fertilized, and watered, and cleaned beds, and organized....it was a group effort mind you, but hopefully worth it all to have a pretty yard this year!

Here a few pics of the progress:

After we finished with the box, we dumped in our bags of soil and quickly discovered that I hadn't bought nearly enough, 4 bags of rose soil and 1 bag of compost. I returned to the nursery yesterday and picked up 9 more bags of rose soil (1 cu.) and 2 more bags of revitalizer/compost (1.5 cu). We used all but 1 bag of rose soil!

Next I placed the plants and moved them around about 100 times before I decided on their perfect "spot", then Ian, Michael & I dug the holes and placed them into their new homes. I left the sweet peas, cucumbers and the butterfly plant for Alex, which is why some are still in their pots in this picture.

Once all of the plants were buried, I added a bit of fruit/veggie food, we lightly watered, we put in the lattice for the climbing plants, and then added the plastic fencing around the garden to keep a nosey little poodle's nose out of it! The fencing is attached to the stakes around the garden, and can be easily removed & replaced when I need to work in there.

A final picture of the finished product, including a few of the herbs that I ended up potting for the time being. We may end up with a smaller "herb" garden next to this one, but I spent enough money this weekend and decided the pots would work fine for now. I actually now have 3 more pots of herbs, and a group of seed-pots waiting to sprout!

All-in-all we had a ton of fun! Here is the run-down of what I planted:
cucumbers, sweet peas, carving pumpkins, strawberries, jalapenos, peanuts, cauliflower, tomatoes, asparagus, (awaiting the broccoli plant), a butterfly plant & marigolds, and lots of herbs! The seed pots contain red/green sweet peppers, yellow onions, baby carrots, and green beans. Yummmmmm!!!!!!

0 comments: