Sunday, September 21, 2008

Prayers for You!

When I think back to 4 years ago, I remember laying in a hospital bed, holding you in my arms. You were my sweet little boy, brought into the world with love (and pitocin and an epidural)...and my last! As you slept that first night, I couldn't help but cry, just a little, thinking about how special you were. You were a surprise, to say the least, but no-less loved or wanted.

Your will is strong, and while I grapple with ways to make you obey, I also wrestle with teaching you what obedience truly is, while doing my best to not break your spirit. For it is this sweet spirit and strong will that will make you into the man that God wants you to be. It is my job to mold and shape these character traits, to train you to use your will for Godly reasons, not selfish. And while I am not always the best example for you to follow, I pray every night that you only see the good, and not the flaws that I so often show.

You are amazingly creative! You can play for hours with a stick or a single car, making up games that involve your ever-faithful dinosaur growl and 4-legged run from room to room. Whether alone or with your brother & sister, you play like there is no tomorrow; you hang in with the big boys when they get rough, and sometimes take them down. Other times you aren't so lucky, but you are quick to shake off the misplaced punch and to jump back in with both feet. You like to win and are relentless when it comes to never giving up!

Your eyes always express your joy, sorrow, and yes, even your mischievous streak. Regardless of my question and the subsequent answer, I can always tell whether your are being playfully vague or honestly bad. When you are angry or upset, it is your eyes that give me a glimpse into your soul, showing me what I need to know about what has caused your sudden change of attitude. It is those eyes that watch me so intently when I have a bad day; it is those same eyes that I hope also see me repent. Your eyes are ever watchful of those around you, deciding when you will befriend someone new, or to hide your face from a complete stranger.

So, my little man, it is with both a happy and sad heart that I tell you Happy 4th Birthday! For you are finally 4 years old and leaving your baby-hood behind, but it also means that you are growing up and will no longer be my baby! My prayer for you this year is this: As you grow and learn more about the world around you, as you investigate and watch and observe those you come into contact with, may God protect your little eyes from seeing what you should not see, and may He show you His love through your family & friends. May your will be molded by His hands, and may your spirit be taught by His spirit. May you grow to know that you are loved and treasured! You are a precious gem, and we love you!!!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Happy 4th Birthday! That smile says it all--what a treasure!

Judy said...

Happy birthday big guy!

cori said...

Happy Birthday Ian - man, does time fly. He even looks like a genuine little (big) boy now. :)

Love,
Aunty Cori

mamatutwo said...

That is an absolutely beautiful birthday gift! Great post!

(Still out of town but able to use mom's e-mail!)