Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Before & After-Math

Really, I don't think words will be necessary, but I wanted to let you all know that we are fine! Its been a rough ride, but I cannot complain. Our house came out unscathed by Ike - a sheer miracle considering the large tree in our backyard has been up-rooted and is leaning!!! I live in an older subdivision with huge, old trees, so many people did not come out of this as well as we did. Estimates have Ike's winds blowing at a steady 90-95 mph, with gusts well over 100 mph for hours & hours. We didn't lose power until 3:40AM on Saturday, during the storm, and didn't get our power back until Tuesday evening sometime. I know the exact time the power went out because there were 2 huge explosions that woke Michael & I (and Alex) up. We later found out those were the 2 transformers behind our house! Anyway, we left on Saturday evening (after the storm had come & gone) to stay with our friends in College Station for a few nights, then came back home on Monday afternoon, only to leave and stay with a local family who had power (and hot showers!!!) for another night. We made a stop in College Station for gas & groceries, since both of those items are almost non-existent in the area. Thousands & thousands of homes IN OUR AREA (and 1/2 of our subdivision) are still without power, so please keep these families in your prayers! Its been a very long week, and looks to be even tougher as estimates have power restoration for this part of Houston at Tuesday of NEXT WEEK.

All Glory goes to God for sending His angels and provision for my family!!!

The kiddos went "camping" in our formal living room.
Having them downstairs was important to them (and to me!!!).

These blurry images were taken around 8AM on Saturday morning, while Ike still rained his wrath on Houston! The branch that went through the fence came off our OUR tree located right next to Ian's room, but fell straight down across the neighbor's driveway and onto his roof. Thankfully there was no damage, other than to his gutters!

This would be one of the few "pros" of being without power for days & days - a cleaned out fridge & freezer! Notice the Chick-Fil-A bag and the stiro foam container on the shelf? That would be yesterday's lunch & dinner! Another positive of having no food is that you HAVE to go eat :)

And, by no food in the house to eat, I simply mean that there really isn't anything we would want to eat for dinner! But, should another hurricane care to grace us with his or her presence, we will probably still be prepared as I think we have more than our fair share of canned goods and bread products!!!

3 comments:

Judy said...

So thankful you guys are all okay!

My grandmother's power was turned on Tuesday (she's in the Galleria area).

My parents had their power restored yesterday (they are WAAAAAAAAAY north by Tyler)...ooh, interesting tidbit from there. The boat house NEXT TO Patrick Dempsey's fell into the lake - the whole thing! My parents watched it happen. My mom said it was uber-scary.

Some good friends of ours ended up with an oak tree slicing their house in half in Conroe. USAA has already been out and prelminary results have the house at a total loss. Wow.

And my in-laws from Willis, well, Grandma and Mom are coming to stay with us Saturday for at least a week, maybe two, depending on when the trees get removed from their lines and the electricity is restored. It is going to be too humid and warm this weekend over there for them to stay there without power. So, the babysitters are moving in! YAY!

cori said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys are okay. I've tried texting you for the past several days but never heard back so i figured your phone battery was dead too. You've been in my heart and prayers this whole time. I'm so glad you were able to go stay with your friends in College Station - that's such a relief as I was previously picturing your poor pathetic selves holed up in a dark house for days on end with no food. Thanks for the update!

Katrina said...

I'm so thankful everything is okay for you guys! What a blessing to have loving friends to go to!