Saturday, May 10, 2008

An Unexpected Journey

Ok, so have you heard the one about a kid that asks - or actually begs - his mother to home school him next year? Yeah, that's what happened in our house last Tuesday night. So, like any good mother would do, I squelched that little request without batting an eye. But, then it came at me again! So, I made home schooling sound worse than going to jail - staying home with me, all day, every day, while his friends go to school and play at recess without him; staying home with me all day with no friends to play with; staying home with me all day and not getting to play video games at every corner because he is bored; staying home with me every day...well, you get the point. It sounded awful to me, but the response I got was so totally unexpected that I was left speechless:

"But mom, if you were to home school me, I would be able to do my work without getting into trouble. If I was home working, it would be quiet and I wouldn't get distracted as easily. If you were to home school me, I would really love school again!"

And, so my search for knowledge and wisdom has begun.

Whether we decide to traverse down the unfamiliar road called Home Schooling, or we stick to our original plan of sending our kiddos to the local, very well recognized public school, or maybe even suck it up and find the funds to finance private education for a year, I am traversing a road that I had never expected to visit. All of my plans for the coming year - 2 days a week with absolutely no kiddos to worry with - 2 glorious days every single week! - have been tossed to the wind, and I am diving into unknown waters. I'm worried, and scared, and excited all at the same time.

I cannot wait to see where it is that God will lead us! All of us...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son's response made me cry. Have you ever had him tested for giftedness. Getting in trouble, being distracted (bored) and losing the love of learning, are all classic signs of a gifted child in the wrong environment. Most schools are ill equipped to provide the support necessary. Please check it out for his sake, and look up the National Association for Gifted Children to get some info and support if it turns out to be the case www.nagc.org

Don't be afraid of homeschooling, it can be done, but you're right it takes commitment and can be scary, but you will never regret it.

Many prayers.

Katrina said...

Big decision! I will definitely say a prayer for you, my friend! We are also weighing options for next year (public school vs. private, in our case). I'm sure God will guide you in choosing what is best for all of you!