Monday, April 21, 2008

Something New, Take 2

We are a family of squash dislikers! Michael can't choke it down to save his life and I simply don't like it - steamed, raw, mashed, or otherwise! This, of course, means that our children don't like it either. Not so much because they've actually ever tasted it (and maybe they have), but they just assume they don't like it because we don't. So, there you have it, the ground-work for another Try Something New Night!

Tonight was spaghetti night, but in an effort to improve our eating habits and diet in general, I decided to bake a spaghetti squash rather than our typical whole wheat pasta. When I was a child, I remember my mother doing this to us, then informing us only after we had completed our dinner that we had eaten squash, rather than pasta. And, since we all ate it without complaint, assuming that we were eating mushy pasta, mom was rather pleased with her sneaky self.

Well, it seems that I learned a thing or two about being sneaky from my mom. I did the exact same thing to my children this evening - only Michael knew what we were eating.


Ian was the first to finish his salad, so he was the first to inhale his main course. As you can see, he had no problems finishing every last bite.

Morgann followed suit, as did Alex. They all ate, without complaint or question! And, when we informed them that they had just eaten a spaghetti squash, they seemed less than phased by the fact. Alex said that he knew it wasn't 'normal spaghetti' but he liked whatever it was.

Granted, the squash was covered in sauce and cheese, but at least we avoided the carbs!

Two TSNN's for mommy :) I'm on a roll!!!

3 comments:

Judy said...

YUM! That sounds delicious - congrats on sneaking yet another nutritious something into your repitoire!

Katrina said...

Mmmm, I adore spaghetti squash! I have one sitting on my counter right now--maybe I'll bake it up tomorrow.

I like to mix it with melted Neufchatel cheese, spinach, garlic, and crumbled bacon. Sometimes I add some cooked chicken breast. It tastes like something from Olive Garden!

Amy said...

I have never even HEARD of spaghetti squash. Oh my. But now with Katrina's recipe, it sure sounds good!! I might have to try this out!