Friday, October 27, 2006

An Update

Well, Little W finally went home to be with daddy yesterday, but not for the happy reasons we were all hoping for. And, before you immediately think the worst, mommy has been released from the hospital and was doing well as of yesterday!

Anyway, Little W had to go to the doctor yesterday because he had an awful cough! He spent Wednesday with my neighbor, but by Thursday, his cough was getting bad. So, she called his daddy and told him that he needed to take him to get checked for croup! Thankfully, no croup, but he does have a virus! Lovely!!! He's been sleeping face to face with my oldest for 9 days!

So, guess what happened next? Wednesday afternoon, I received a phone call from the nurse's office at Alex's school telling me that he had a low-grade fever, which meant that I had to go pick him up! Nice!!! Yesterday we spent the day just running errands, him coughing every now & then, but seeming to feel fine. Then this morning, he was coughing up a lung, so I took him to the doctor only to leave with a diagnosis of strep! Great!!

And, now as I sit & type, I hold my youngest in my lap, curled into a little ball, running a 103.5 fever! Couldn't this have happened 6 hours ago when we were sitting in the doctor's office?!? And, to top it off, my pediatrician isn't on-call this weekend, which would mean that either we go see her associate, that I don't like at all, or wait until Monday. So, I had no other choice but to call my sister who works at a stand-alone ER and ask if I could bring him in for a quick strep test tonight. Thankfully, the doctor there said that he would be happy to check him for me for FREE!

It's nice to have friends & family in 'high places' :)

But, alas, this means that we will not be going to our church's fall festival tonight! I was getting really excited about it too - my daughter wanted to be a ballerina, so my sisters and I went through all of our old costumes until we found one that fit her. This afternoon, I went and bought her some 'fake' ballet shoes, tights, and a tiara to top off the look. She was going to look so cute! Oh well!! Guess she'll have to wait until Tuesday now :(

2 comments:

Amy said...

oooh so not fun!! I'm sorry to hear that your little ones are sick, and strep is certainly no fun at all (but luckily treatable). She can be a ballerina any day of the week!

Katrina said...

Sorry about the strep--what a pain! I hope it passes quickly and doesn't make its rounds to anyone else in your family.

On the upside, that's a wonderful thing you did, even if it did end in a communicable disease. :)