Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Serves me right!

This posting is dedicated to my very dear friend at Mommy Stories...

I should have known that the snide little comment I left on Cori's blog last night would come back to haunt me. But, you'd have to understand why I said what I did. You see, we've been friends since high school, and since that time, it seems that there is something odd always happening to her - and now her family. There is never a dull moment in their house - ever!!! If she were to blog every time something 'exciting' happened to one of them, she'd be at her computer all day, every day! The fun just never stops around there :) That said, her recent adventures in the potty training of her middle child, Bennett, have been long, and filled with funny stories and adventures. Some funnier than others - remember the one where you had to drop Chloe off in the arms of a total stranger to clean out the public pool? When was that, Memorial Day Weekend or the 4th of July? Anyway, her posting about Bennett's tummy ache was just another priceless moment in the on-going saga of potty training. I couldn't help but laugh; what else could you do about something like that right?!? However, paybacks are... Well, you'll understand in a second.

This morning, we were back to our usual routine of doing our best to get Alex (my oldest) out the door for school. This is never a small task since he's so easily side-tracked - brushing his teeth is a 30 minute event! Anyway, because of the recent power outages in the area (thanks to Hurrican Rita), my refrigerator had no food that I'd deem 'safe' to feed my children or myself. And, since I hadn't made it to the grocery store, figuring out what to feed my child for breakfast was a chore that I just wasn't up for at 7:15 this morning. I would have just given him toast, but we would have had to have had bread to do that! Well, actually, we did, but it was just 1 piece which is never enough - he usually wants 2 pieces. So, this meant that I had to come up with something else to feed him. And, since my children love breakfast foods, I decided I'd make scrambled eggs for a change - assuming the eggs hadn't spoiled during the power outage. My hope was that when I cracked it open, a stench wouldn't come wafting out forcing me to gag or throw up. So, I reluctantly cracked, sniffed and deemed the egg safe for consumption. Then it dawned on me, we had no milk! Oh well! I decided he'd be fine eating scrambled eggs made without milk. (I could have fried it, but I had already broken the yolk in the bowl). So anyway, after fixing his breakfast, I checked on Ian who had just finished his morning bottle, then headed to my room to get dressed - or to at least change out of my pajamas and pull my hair back.

It was at this moment that Alex came bursting into my room to tell me there was something weird on the floor in the kitchen. This concerned me greatly because it was just yesterday that I had spent more than an hour sweeping & mopping the floors (and we all know how I feel about that). So, I pulled my pajamas back on and ran to the kitchen to see who it was that had defiled my recently cleaned floor. What I found was a small 'pile' of a brownish-green gooey substance. It looked nothing like scrambled eggs (obviously) or toast, so my first thought was that Ian had found another roach, and after thoroughly chewing it up, spit it back out. Unfortunately, I was wrong. After dropping to my hands & knees to inspect the pile closer, I immediately realized what it was. I jumped up, turned around to find my baby sitting on the cream-colored carpet with an innocent "it wasn't me" look on his face, and jerked him up to find the same brownish-green substance dripping (literally) out of his diaper and down his legs. Uuuggghhh!!!! Now what was I suppposed to do?

Well, I did what any other mommy in that situation would do, I took him to the closest bathroom with a tub (mine) and sat him down it - pj shirt, diaper & all. Ok, now what? Oh, I know, I'll yell at the top of my lungs for Alex's assistance since daddy had already gone. Wait, times ticking and the bus will be here soon. Do I dare side-track Alex from his morning routine to ask for help? Of course I do! So, I yelled for Alex who was there within seconds and asked him to grab the small container of wipes still sitting on my bedroom floor from our recent trip. Once in hand, I pulled Ian back out of the tub and laid him on a towel that was in the wash pile next to me, and attempted to the remove the leaky diaper without getting it on me! Thankfully, I successfully removed the diaper, cleaned up his bottom, legs & back, and sat him back down in the tub (still wearing his pj shirt), now with luke-warm running water. Since time was of the essence at this point, I decided to simply 'rinse him' off, dry him off, and throw on another diaper. The look on his confused little face was absolutely priceless :) Anyway, after getting him cleaned up, I had to go remove the pile from the kitchen floor, being sure to thoroughly clean that spot with anti-bacterial spray.

Life Lesson Learned: Never make fun of someone that tells a poopy story, for tomorrow, your turn will come :)

5 comments:

cori said...

I don't know what to say, Jenn. :) Should I be honored that you would follow in my 'poopy footsteps'? Or should I laugh out loud saying, "I told you so"? Or should have have mercy and compassion on you and laugh with you and let you know in no uncertain terms that you are still a wonderful Mommy whether or not you can control your child's 'poopy outbursts' (for lack of a better term).

I think I'll choose the latter. :) You are a wonderful friend. Now we are not only joined by our dedicated love and friendship for one another. We are joined with the bond that not alot of other people can share - the 'embarassing poopy child' moments - as I like to refer to them. I think we should start some kind of club! :)

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have a feeling that Ian will give you lots more entries to write about this exact subject matter. :) Love ya!

Harleys said...

Okay,after laughing at you, then reding cori's story and laughing at her, I stopped. My kids are 6,7 and 9. I won't be next in line, right? . . .

Rabbity-Sniff said...

Debbi, that's SO funny!! (I really don't think you're next in line. But if so - do tell. It should be hilarious.)

But I can relate to the poopy stories. It's amazing all the stuff that poop can attach itself to and all the hands you really need to deal with it.

Katrina said...

Oh, these are the moments that try mommy souls...

Did Alex make it to the bus?

Jennifer said...

Yes, Katrina, Alex did make it to the bus with a few minutes to spare - amazingly enough! I'm thinking that the bus must have been a few minutes late though, because I don't think there's any possible way that we weren't late! Of course, because I had no time to change out of my PJ's, he walked himself down there while I stood on the front porch praying that no one I knew would pass by :)