Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Another First

Well, I knew the time would come - and it finally did! My baby, who will turn 1 year old in 2 weeks, got his hair cut for the first time yesterday. It was a very monumental moment for me, because getting his hair cut meant that those tiny baby curls would be cut off, and I just hate that!

I remember when my oldest, Alex, had his hair cut for the first time. The woman that cut his hair made her first snip at the nape of his neck, taking one of his big baby curls. It almost made me cry because that curl was a marker, so to speak - it meant that he was still a baby. Once that curl was gone, it meant that he was 'growing up' and I just wasn't ready for that yet! He was, after all, my first.

So, I can safely say that my views have changed a tad, and the little things that would upset me with my first tend to be just daily occurrences when it comes to the third child. I have to say that even though I'm ready to be done with the baby stage (I've had 3 in 5 years, so it would be nice to NOT have a baby for a change), it doesn't mean that I won't miss it - at least a little bit. As much as I hate getting up at 6AM to fix a bottle because the little one just can't stay asleep for 1 more hour, I know I'll look back at it (eventually) and miss it.

I already miss the 3 little curls that are now taped onto a page of his baby book! Why is it that taking those few curls off, and cutting the bangs that had grown into his eyes suddenly made him look 'older'? How exactly can he looked 'older'? He's not even 1 yet... Sigh :(

4 comments:

cori said...

I can't believe he's grown so fast! Where does time go?

Hey...I'm also very sensitive about all this hair talk. At 17mos. Chloe still doesn't have any! :) And what she does have stands up like a new born duck. She's yet to have that momentous 'first haircut'. You can be sure I'll be blogging about that one!

Katrina said...

I thought the little old ladies at church were going to form a lynch mob when I appeared with my son, Caleb, newly bereft of all his little blond curls and looking like a shorn sheep!

They might not have objected, though, if they'd been the ones who had to get a comb through that sweaty, matted tangle of baby fine hair. I missed the curls, but not the cries!

Katrina said...

Where are you, Jennifer? I demand a new chaotic adventure or life lesson!

;)

Rabbity-Sniff said...

Oh dear, my 2 year old just had her first hair cut. I took her to the salon, she popped up in the chair and graciously accepted the apron. And then smiled delightfully into the mirror while my friend snipped away. It actually made her curls pop up even more noticably. I'm a scrapbooker but I totally did not document the moment in any way. Sheesh.

There's something about having "babies." They are little for only so long and when they get bigger, you really do start to miss it and get ecstatic when the pregnancy test is positive!