Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A First Class Circus Act

So, I guess the biggest test for any mommy is her ability to juggle? To have 1 child crying because it is time to eat, 1 child crying because they no longer want to be in the baby pool that you just spent 10 minutes scrubbing with Comet (so as not to expose them to any bacteria or dead creatures) then re-filling with fresh water, and 1 child crying because they want to be outside in the pool, but not by themselves. Hmmm...what's a mommy to do? Run & hide was the first thing that came to mind :( Ok, let's think logically here for just a moment. There must be a way to stop this crying frenzy to the satisfaction of all. "So what did you do?" you ask.

I told the 2 year old to stay outside with the 5 year old for 10 more minutes so mommy could feed the baby. I told the 5 year old to stop crying because the 2 year old would stay out there for a little while longer. And I quickly grabbed 2 jars of strained food and a baggie of Cheerios and started stuffing the food into the baby's open mouth as quickly as possible so he'd stop crying too!

I'm sure that many of you mommies might be apalled that I would force my children to stay outside against their will, but you'd have to understand that that's about the only way my children see the light of day! They would prefer to stay inside, probably in front of the TV, with a snack in 1 hand, juice or water in the other. That is their idea of a perfect afternoon. As hard as I try to keep this from occurring, I'm sad to say, this does happen from time to time. But only on those days when my sanity hangs by a very fragile thread. I often think of my friends and what they might do with their children - you know, reading a story, doing an art project, drawing on them :) And, believe it or not, I do these things with them regularly so as to enhance the creative side of their brains (well, except for drawing on them). But, there are just some days that mommy doesn't have the energy to be a 'good' mommy, and I'm forced to either throw them outside and tell them they have to be out there for at least 30 minutes, or I allow the TV to become the nanny for a few hours. I am happy to report that I am careful with the things they watch - Between the Lions, Adventures in the Book of Virtues, and Dora the Explorer are our favorites - so they do get some form of education while sitting mindlessly in front of what my mother called "The Boob Tube". There are just some days that I don't have it in me. But, then there are days that my mind is full ideas, and my 'super-mommy' strength is back and I can take just about anything these little monkies can dish out!

I guess that, upon reflection, the 'circus' that I call my home and the performers that are my family, all rely on me to keep the show moving. The main attraction? Let's see how many balls mommy can keep in the air before they all come crashing down :) That, my friends, is always the question of the day!!!

2 comments:

cori said...

Don't think I didn't notice the subtle inuendos you made regarding the fun I have by drawing on my children - thanks for the plug! :)

By the way, kids like it outside - they just don't know it yet! :)

Rabbity-Sniff said...

I only have 2 kids (2 and under) and I'm only a year older than you, but you already sound like a "super-mom" to me since my energy is zilch. Blues Clues has become the Nanny and OUTSIDE is where my 2 yr old constantly wants to be. But she must be supervised continually and I can't get anything done when I'm outside watching her all the time. Do you EAT something that gives you energy? Does it grow on a tree in your back yard? I gotta get me some! Oh, btw I found my way here from ziggythoughts to mommystories to chaotic adventures. I'll be coming back often - you write well and have excellent topics (1,2,3 which is where I aim to be at 35 if I can figure out the energy thing. I think I was supposed to have had kids ten years ago if I wanted the energy too. Oh well.)