Saturday, October 20, 2007

Death Would be a Welcomed Relief!

Ok, so maybe that's a bit over-board, but as of Sunday night, that's what I was thinking.

I woke up Sunday morning to a 7 year old complaining about not feeling well and having a sore throat, only to find out he was running a fever. So, like any good mommy, I gave him some Motrin, settled him on the couch with a bottle of water and his 'just in case he throws up' bowl, then went back to bed - it was 6:45 on a Sunday morning! Then without any warning whatsoever, my body started to ache. The ache progressively got worse and by 10AM, it was full-blown pain! Michael allowed me to stay in bed for a bit, then take a bath in hopes that the achy feeling would subside, but by 4PM, I was in tears and begging to be put out of my misery. I'd spent the better part of the day sleeping off & on on the couch, doing my best to find that comfortable spot that didn't seem to exist. By this point, I'd taken my fair-share of Tylenol and Motrin, with very little relief, and had managed to drink 1/2 a bottle of water and eat 2 pieces of toast.

Then it came to me...I was sick!! Then another thought struck me...Mommies can't get sick!! Then, yet another thought penetrated my tired brain...I was going to be left by myself, with 1 sick child and 2 healthy children on Monday, and I WAS SICK!!!!! This is where begging ensued...me begging Michael to please call his mother to see if she could help out - and thankfully she did :) She arrived yesterday, right before lunch, loaded up the 2 healthy, very bored kiddos and left. She even offered to keep them overnight, which ended up working well for me since I had to take Alex to his pediatrician today.

When we arrived at the doctor's office, Alex was very insistent that he felt 'much better' and his throat was just fine. The funny part was that while making his claims, the poor kid had a hard time forcing down his breakfast and his tonsils were protruding from his neck. We we arrived at his pediatrician, I begged her to stick that giant Q-tip down my throat like she did to him, much to his dismay, because I was absolutely convinced that I probably had strep, which I've never had in my entire life! She said she couldn't, but when Alex's strep test came back "very positive", she gave me a prescription for an antibiotic because she said that she's positive that I have it too. So, what I thought was the flu with a bad sore throat turned out to be a really bad case of strep - or so we think anyway.

I've only had 1 dose of the antibiotic, but I'm already feeling a tad bit better. Still not myself and functioning at 100%, but I had enough energy this afternoon to strip the strep-laden sheets off of our bed and wash them :) Gotta love clean sheets, right?

I guess that if I really wanted to find something positive in this, I could say that I've probably lost a little weight since I haven't eaten more than 4 pieces of toast in 2 days...but I guess that might be stretching it a bit, wouldn't you say?!?

0 comments: