Friday, June 23, 2006

The End

Well, here I am at the end of a very fun, but long, week! We just finished our week-long VBS program - Fiesta! Where Kids are Fired up About Jesus :) It was awesome!!!

On Monday, I was wondering what I could have possibly been thinking when I signed up to be a crew leader. As already stated in my previous post, I found out that I am not very good at handling children with severe behavioral issues. I came home worn out, and frustrated, thinking that if the rest of my week was going to go like that day did, I didn't think I'd be able to fulfill my commitment to VBS without totally losing my mind. At any rate, our bible point for that day was "Jesus is our Friend" (this is where you raise your hands into a 'V' and yell VIVA!).

Tuesday was much better. I had my entire crew, minus the 'trouble maker' and it was wonderful. God gave me an awesome group of well-behaved kiddos. Everyone was polite and helpful, and, most importantly, could listen to and follow instructions :) Our bible point on this day was "Jesus is our Life" - again, the obligatory VIVA! should be yelled at ear-piercing decibles.

Wednesday, our bible point was "Jesus is our Leader" - uh-huh, you guessed it...VIVA!!!

Thursday, our bible point was "Jesus is our Savior" - yep, VIVA! This day was most important because this was the day that we shared the salvation message with the kiddos in attendance. Do you know that I had 2 girls give their lives to Jesus? It was very moving and exciting for me to be a part of bringing them to the Lord. I now know that my participation in VBS truly meant something...

Today, Friday, our bible point was "Jesus is our Helper" - come on, one more time...VIVA! And, yes, I can relate whole-heartedly to this one! Not being a morning person, I felt His help every morning with the simple task of dragging myself out of bed each and every day. I'm a walking zombie at this point of the week - is it bedtime yet?

In short, I thorougly loved being a part of such a wonderful week of worship and fun! I would strongly encourage you to jump on it anytime you're given an opportunity to be a part of something like this - be it a VBS week or just assisting with a kid's camp. You won't be sorry! We may not see the rewards immediately, and may even feel some frustration (as demonstrated by me on Monday), but the long-term affect you've had on a child's life may have a lasting, eternal reward greater than anything else you could have imagined!!!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Hey, that's the EXACT same VBS program we are doing this year! Ours starts Monday, and I am doing preschool crafts. Should be exciting!

I'm a little nervous about Caleb walking around with his little class--he tends to make a break for it when he sees a door to freedom. I'll have to warn his group leaders about that!

Word verification: paylo (That's just fun to say!)

Jennifer said...

Katrina - this VBS program must be the most popular curriculum ever!!! There were 4 churches within a 6 mile radius of us doing this same theme, 3 of them during the same week! It was loads of fun, and the kids are still singing their songs (thanks to my purchasing the CD) and doing the motions. Yesterday, there were Bible Buddies sprawled out all over the house :)

Have a great week! Maybe you'll have a few things to blog about too :)