Thursday, June 23, 2005

Trying Times...

Since there is never a dull moment in this house, I thought I might share some of the goings-on for today. Forgive me as I ramble on, since it's fast approaching midnight. But, some things need be shared. I need some sympathy, or maybe encouragement, that 'this too shall pass'. Any advice you feel inclined to share might be appreciated as well...frustration is setting in.

It seemed that the progress my 2 year old daughter, Morgann, had made with regard to potty training was something to make me proud. Not only was she keeping her Princess, Nemo, or Shortcake (as in Strawberry) panties dry, but she was taking herself to the potty as needed! She was, for all intense purposes, training herself!!! I must be a good mommy, the envy of other mommies, to be sure :)

As quickly as that thought had entered my mind, it was immediately crushed by the realization that I had absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, she has digressed about as quickly as she had progressed just a few weeks ago. In her defense, I think that the possible bladder infection she had - though the doctor said she didn't, so now I'm not sure what the complaints and cries were about - may have led to the digression (is that a word?). I am now bound to the idea that we will indeed have to return to the very expensive Pull-ups very soon! We have even gone so far as to request a Pull-up, and pitch a fit when panties are the only option given - I would be referring to her, not me. My fits are kept secret and well hidden - or so I hope anyway!

To say that I am the 2nd in command, to my husband, that is, is a joke. My children tend to take the lead more often that I'd care to admit. It didn't take them long to figure out which buttons to push, depending on the place & parent they are trying to over-throw. Sometimes it's Michael, sometimes it's me. Morgann seems to think that if she leaves enough puddles on the kitchen floor, living room sofa (thank God it's leather and easily cleaned), and even the office carpet, her request for a Pull-up will be granted. Boy, does she have another thing coming! It just so happens that I read an article about Potty Training Do's & Don'ts yesterday, and I've found my 2nd wind - and a few good ideas to boot!

For instance, the idea of wearing a dress, rather than shorts or a onsie, had never crossed my mind! Granted we'd been walking around with just panties or maybe panties & a t-shirt, but a dress? Gee, what a novel thought... Then, there was the suggestion that you have an extra potty chair in the car with you for those quick trips when "Mommy, I potty" is heard and you're 5 minutes from the nearest bathroom. Hmmm, I could just whip into a parking lot, and very discreetly allow my daughter the chance to 'relieve' herself without the fanfare of having to remove her wet clothes and carseat cover once at our destination...add a potty seat to the shopping list, Jenn! Although, always have at least 1 spare change of clothes, just in case...

See, I really am trying! I'm not scolding her when the inevitable accident happens, I'm rewarding dry panties & trips to the potty with 'treats', and I'm doing my best to be consistent. So what's the problem here? Why did we go through 3 pairs of panties today? I'm apparently missing something...

1 comments:

jon said...

I personally wouldn't be to worried about her at two years old. Natalie wet herself regularly until she was at least four, and still has the occasional accident at age six. I'm quite sure she will pee in her pants during my funeral just for old times sake. One final chance to aggrevate dad.